Ingredients for making squid cutlets
- Uncleaned squid, chilled 1 kilogram
- Large onion 1 piece
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Ground white pepper to taste
- Ground pink pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Main ingredients: Squids, Onions
- Serving 6 servings
Cutting board, Knife, Freezer, Deep bowl or deep plate, Food wrap, Meat grinder, Tablespoon, Frying pan with lid, Kitchen stove, Wooden spatula, Serving dish, Dish
Cooking squid cutlets:
Step 1: prepare the squid.
For the preparation of cutlets, squid is a very important ingredient. Therefore, first of all, what you need to pay attention to is the size of the carcasses. They must be large, as well as necessarily unpeeled and not frozen. Attention: if the store offers you beautiful white squids, it’s better to refuse, because it is because of them that the cutlets will not just fail, but will fall apart in a pan. And all because such seafood goes through a special blanching procedure, resulting in protein folding.
So, we wash the squids well under running cold water and lay them back down on a cutting board. Using a knife, we make an incision along the abdomen. With our hands we remove the vertebral arrow and clean it from the insides. Turn the squid over and, holding the carcass with one hand, remove the skin. It is removed easily, so you should not have problems with it. After that, we clean the tail and wash the carcasses again under running water. The processed squids are transferred to a deep bowl or plate, wrapped with cling film and put in the freezer to cool for one hour.
Step 2: prepare the onion.
Using a knife, peel the onion from the husk and rinse thoroughly under running water. Then put the vegetable on a cutting board and cut it into several parts. To do this, it is better to first quarter, and then cut each part into several pieces. The processed onions are transferred to a free plate.
Step 3: prepare squid cutlets.
For an hour, squid carcasses slightly freeze, which is what we need. We free them from cling film and transfer them to a cutting board. We cut it into small pieces with a knife and transfer it back to the bowl.
Now, in a meat grinder, we spread the onion and squid pieces in turn and grind everything through a fine mesh. Attention: in order for the patties to have a uniform consistency, grind the minced meat 2 times. Then salt and pepper to taste and, using a tablespoon, mix everything well until a homogeneous mass is formed.
With clean, wet hands, we take a small part of the minced meat, form a ball from it and put it on a cutting board. When all the balls are formed, go to the very frying of the cutlets.
Pour vegetable oil into the pan and put on medium heat. When the oil warms up well, make a small fire. We take the squid ball and give it the oblong shape of the patties. Put the dish in a pan and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Immediately after that, using a wooden spatula, we turn the patties on the other side and continue to cook them for the same time. After these minutes, close the pan with a lid and simmer squid cutlets for another 2-3 minutes.
We transfer the finished dish to a special plate, and instead of them we put the next portion into the pan. Attention: if necessary, add a little oil.
Step 4: serve squid cutlets.
When all the squid cutlets are ready, the dish can be served to the table until it has cooled. Although cold cutlets are also very tasty. As a side dish for a fish dish, mashed potatoes and a salad of fresh vegetables are perfect.
- For the preparation of squid cutlets, you do not need to use eggs, since they draw moisture during heat treatment.
- Squid cutlets can be cooked in the oven or in a double boiler.
- It’s not necessary to fry the patties for a long time, as the squids themselves are prepared very quickly. The only thing that can be changed in the process itself is the temperature level of the burner. To do this, the first thing you can fry the patties on both sides over medium heat (in this embodiment, less time can be spent), and after that we make a small fire and simmer the dish for several minutes under the lid.
- In addition to the spices indicated in the recipe, you can use any other seasonings to your taste. The only thing I want to pay attention to is that squid meat itself is very tender and does not require special additional aromatic spices.